Saturday, May 23, 2009

Summer day..

It feels like it, even if summer isn't actually here until June. Jesse and the 4 older kids went to work on the armory that our church is converting to a new church. It will be lots more space for us. They are working on it all through Memorial Day weekend. It will be wonderful for Awana, VBS and lots of other ministry opportunities. Not to mention lots of room for all the kids that attend church (and there are a lot!).

I haven't heard from my mom today; she called yesterday and said Grandma was sleeping quite a bit and in pain. They have been giving her morphine and may need to up the dosage. I remember my dad telling me that when his mom was dying from colon cancer (in the late 1970's), they wouldn't give her anything for the pain and it was agonizing. They (the medical staff) were worried she'd get hooked on morphine, which didn't make any sense at all. He said it was awful to watch.

I will miss my Grandma when she dies. I never was able to live close to her but saw her every summer (for 2 weeks) as a child. We would fly out as soon as school ended. We always had a wonderful time. She had a big, beautiful yard and the fragrant peonies were blooming when we came. We also got to see our Aunts, Uncles and cousins who lived in Western Pa as well. The last time I saw Grandma was in 2004 when she flew to Florida to attend my cousin's wedding. I am sad that I haven't gotten to see her lately but thankful that one day we will have a wonderful reunion where there will be no pain, despair or illness.

No comments: